09 December, 2007

Koala ...

The koala is still in his tree. However, I am beginning to understand more about why they are so close to the houses. There are people who ride motorbikes through the bushland next door. They go around and around, mindlessly, for hours on end. The birds all leave - the ones who can fly - too bad about the nestlings. The nestlings are therefore left vulnerable to the wretched crows that live around. I don't know much about what the other wildlife does, so it doesn't come our way.

There isn't much the police can do, they are not on public roads.

I finally decided perhaps I should report the koalas to some conservationist outfit. So I looked on the internet. Most of them you can't access without being a memeber. Too bad if koala's are dying, if you aren't a member you cannot get in. Finally I found some organisation and left them a message about what is going on. I do not hold much hope.

So I think koala conservation is another group of people with bigger egos than their actual care for the koalas. So typical with animal welfare. Well, that is generalising. There are some groups that really care and do a good job, they are just harder to find.

Our koala is okay. He has plenty of leaves still in his tree, and the tree next to his is the same species by the look of it, and since I know there are other koalas over on our side of the property, there have to be other trees as well. But we think these motorbikers are also cutting trees or covering someone who is. The noise would scare the snakes, so they aren't likely to scare back, or I would wish snakebite on them.

No comments: