26 May, 2008

Updating ...


The aliens packed up all their goodies and left for the darker reaches of outer space.

I have updated my craft blog with a star book. It has many photos which drive me mad sometimes. One or two like I use on here isn't so bad, but when I load more than three I have to drag and drop, then add a caption. Still, I am pleased with the result I have now. Do pop by to have a look.

We have to get Her Ladyship a new rug. The old one was about seven years old and just not usable any more. The only place we can get them is out at Camden. With the price of petrol these days, it is an expensive venture.

Feed prices have remained high, whereas in the past, once the drought is broken, prices go back down, the cost of transport has kept them high. Once she has her foal next year, she can go onto food that pony club horses eat, not this expensive lah-di-dah Thoroughbred fancy food she gets now.

Last week I went to a shop run by a Lebanese family. The father asked me if I knew the story of the first horse ridden. Well, knowing the family is not Muslim, I had to think. Yes, I said, it was Ishmael. What is the story, he asked me. Ishmael gathered a hundred mares that he had kept from water for three days. He then let them go towards the river, just before they reached the river, he called to them. Only five mares turned around and returned to him. The others all went for the water. So the five mares were selected to form the foundation of the modern Arabian horse.

Chaswyck Calyph (Her Ladyship's next beau)


Yes, he said, this is the true story. All the Arab people are decended from Ismael and all the Jewish (he pronounced it Yewish) people from Isaac. Both were the sons of Abraham. He seemed pretty pleased that I knew the story.

When you retell it to a Muslim Arab, you have to say that it was the Prophet who had the mares and they decend from his five mares.

Spending time on the horse forums, mixing with people from all over the world, including the Middle East gives one a good perspective of what is really important. Cultural differences are all put aside when discussing horses.

that is it for now ....

No comments: