17 May, 2008

Classic SciFi ...

So I have just finished watching Blade Runner for about the forth or fifth time in my life. Until now I have sort of not got it, but I think now I have. It is a strange sort of movie in that it is raining the whole time.

Now since the story is set in the year 2019, and scientists are predicting global warming, surely the rain is an anomoly, right? And how come the internet is nowhere to be seen? Harrison Ford is kinda not the best person to have played Dekert, he just isn't brooding enough and obviously the part should have been played by someone who was "brooding". (Although this is a funny word - one always associates anything 'brood' with breeding, eg broodmares, broodie chooks), yet for the sake of mood, the word brooding is used to mean, well not a happy character. Harrison Ford, to me is Hans Solo or Indianna Jones. Gung ho as all getout. Not the dark, seedy character he is supposed to be in this movie.

The lines are a bit pathetic as well. Although I guess overall the movie makes its point. It is much of the point of Astro Boy as well, and I guess finding an anology there means I watch too much stuff and not read as much as I should. lol.

Well, now I have to try to get through Solaris. It is supposed to be one of the five classics that you must have in your really geek SF collection, with the aforementioned Blade Runner, Star Troupers (you have to be kidding me right?), Gattica and I think the other one is Forbidden Planet. Now, I saw Forbidden Planet when I was a child. I vaguely remember it and it was a creepy movie then. I have never seen it on Amazon or any other DVD online seller. I have seen it mentioned, but not as for sale as a DVD. But I would love to have it. It was apparently one of the first ever SF movies made of the more psychological genre, and not the monster/alien movies. I only have Solaris on Video, so it may have to wait a couple of weeks till the old person is at the races and the sister not visiting. He doesn't like the movie and I find it somewhat annoying myself. But I haven't watched it all the way through yet, so I intend to do this.

Well whatever SF powers that be that decided these were the classics, the best SF movies, must be fairly limited. I would like to see more Asimov as movies, and there are books out there I read years ago and have since passed on to others, that I need to collect again and reread. SF is good because perhaps one day it could be possible.

But not with a Labor Government.

till next time ...

No comments: