10 May, 2008

Dinner ...

I am cooking a meatloaf tonight for dinner. Maybe I will photograph it and you can see for yourself how it looks. I am not a cook. You put stuff in front of me on a plate, tell me it is food and I will eat it.

Reading through my last lot of blogs, I have done alot of really negative writing. Putting thoughts on, well, not paper obviously, but you get my meaning. lol.

The sister came over with Sunnyboy. We chatted about this and that. We debated the merit of keeping ducks. Ducks quack at rooster times and do not impress me anymore than a rooster would. She likes ducks, mostly from the critter perspective and I guess there are uses for them.

She blogs about them, and the other birds she sees around. I do not find birds all that interesting, although we have many here at Unicorn farm. I wish I could photograph some of them, simply because they are of interest to other people. We have had a tribe of rosellas take up residence in the weeds at the bottom of the paddock. I think, although I don't know for sure, that they might nest in the bushes next to the weeds, but in the next paddock. There are some native bushes there that the seem to fly off to occassionally. And the magpies. I think they are the descendants of Cody's Friend. He isn't around any more, been gone for almost a year, I think. He went not long after Cody. I haven't talked to the other ones. Since I am leaving, I don't want them getting all human friendly that others can take advantage of them and kill them.

The sister and I were discussing how when we first came here there was a small group of plovers. The lived in next door for a while, and we thought they might have been nesting. But there was a man who came by with a ride on mower and mowed everything.

Then the plovers moved into our front paddock. The horses didn't bother them too much. They would come and go, as plovers do. Wander down the middle of the road so that the old person had to toot them along so we could come or go ourselves. But even then, when the drought got even worse, they left. Probably in search of permanent water. They never entertained the idea of the horses' bath like other birds did. They appear to be waders of some sort and I guess they need different type of water to the land birds.

The cockies have gone and wont be back till about the end of August/September.

Well grandson1 has signed on to help junior kids at school with their reading. He has to go early on Tuesdays to do this. It is a pretty decent thing for him to do. I think it is also pretty responsible of him. The students have to volunteer to do it, and make a commitment to get to school early and do it every week. I don't mind that we have to leave around 8:00am to walk to school and I might have to sit for a while with grandson2 till the teacher turns up. Means I will be home earlier as well.

I am trying to keep my walking up to about 15 miles per week. I did it last week, and I aim to do it again this week, but it leaves me a bit tired and hungry all the time. Weird. But I guess over time I will adjust to it and I will actually have more energy and wont need to eat all the time (grazing - lol).

Well, that is my lot for just now.

adieu ...

No comments: