25 March, 2008

Waiting ...

... for glue to dry, is frankly quite boring. lol. Not alot went on today, I have pottered along with a few projects and art. No one around except the old person and he went did some stuff and went to bed.

The big news in the racing industry is that Sheikh Mohammed has purchased the biggest Australian Stud, Woodlands Stud. I think the real news is that the people concerned were able to keep it a secret for so long. When John Hawkes, Woodlands trainer for twenty years, left their business, I had a feeling there was something going down.

Sheikh Mohammed already has Darley Breeding operation in Australia, so I was a bit surprised that it was him who purchased it. Still Woodlands had some stallions and mares that are real treasure and have never been bred outside the stud. When you have around 500 mares I guess you can decide not to breed outside. It is a real foal factory and worth quite a pretty penny.

I will say this, I believe that the mares are cared for properly - i.e. they are fed properly and would receive proper veterinary care, but when you have that many, I guess unless it is one of their special ones, the mares are just another form of income. Ingams made their money in the 60's selling chickens to Kentucky Fried Chicken outlets. So it is money that was made through death and misery, and nothing will change that fact.

Her ladyship ran through her gate this morning when I opened it up for her and whacked my leg as she dashed past. So she is not in the good books. The old person says she is too spoilt; which up to a point is true, but she has no other companions and we have to be companions to her for a while. She just wants to be down where we are.

I am picking up the grandsons two days a week now, since the Government will not help the daughter this year with childcare unless she gets a job. We will pay for it Thursday mornings and her friend picks them up after school Thursdays. So it works out okay. They can be boisterous, and her banning them from watching TV isn't going to go down with me. I don't have the patience anymore for full on 9 and 10 year olds. They aren't naughty, just boisterous.

I shall bore you no longer ...

No comments: