07 April, 2008

Sitting around ...

The old person is sitting watching the original "High Noon" movie. Full blast, no matter how much he get's yelled at to turn it down. He refuses to believe he is going deaf. I refuse to bash my head on a brick wall.


This morning when I went to feed Her Ladyship her brekky, I grabbed her food bucket only to discover it was slimey. I looked and there was slime all around the rim of it, and the inside of the handles as well. I knew snails were mindless, but sheesh. So I washed it all off, fed her brekky (with warm water). Then just now when I went to give her her hay, the bag I carry it to her in, had two snails on it. Yuk.

Snails are one of those pests that aren't really pests, unless they are eating your plants. So I am reluctant to squish them just for the crime of climbing on the bag. So I just drop them and they go on their merry way rejoicing. My preference would be to keep ducks, but they would probably have less hesitation than the horse does to come into the house. And then snails would probably never be quite the same tucker to them. Aaargh!

Still, we only get snails when it rains, so it is a hard call, really. The only way to deter them from plants is to stack salt or ash around the base of the plant. But when it rains these wash away very quickly. Hence the desire for ducks. Snails have eclectic taste, as well. They eat food you or I would eat, but not flowers or herbs. They don't eat weeds either. I could make a good case for them if they ate weeds. Picky, picky, picky.

The cockies have moved to Padstow. I haven't seen more than one or two lately, but just past Padstow station are several trees that have bits of branches and twigs strewn all around their bases. And the dreadful squarking noise the cockies make. Still, better it is driving them mad, than me.

am I raving ....


No comments: