10 November, 2007

Cicadas and other noisy things

I am one of those people, who for some reason, feel like my brain is scrambled where there are loud noises. I have been like this since I was a little child. I can hear sounds lower than most people as well. I also have a super keen sense of smell. Maybe I should have been a perfumier's nose.

Most everyday noises do not bother me, and the occassional loud bang is got over quickly. However, at the moment there are billions of cicadas in the trees around our house and they are making quite loud cicada noises. It is so loud that I cannot hear anything when I go outside, and, as I said, I feel like my brain is scrambled and I cannot think of anything. It is very frustrating.
But the cicadas themselves are very beautiful. I have seen a few this year and I can't decide what sort of insects they are, guess I will have to resort to google.

Although we have had a little rain, about 30 mls, we could still use some more. Fortunately there have not been too many thunderstorms and no hail (touch wood as I say this). The mare will go down to the back but will not go into the stables. The problem appears to be that the old person was mowing down there, and she could hear the lawnmower. She could not see the mower, however, so did not know what the strange engine noise was. So she is a little spooky and as I said, will not use the stables. Even the open one, which is strange as she loved it last summer. Maybe she still associates the area with her son and she misses him.

Elections are soon, I think two weeks, and the mud slinging is heating up. I have almost stopped watching the television news, I do not read the political articles in the paper and avoid spruikers wherever they are. There will be spruikers outside the primary school we vote at, so I will work out a little comeback for them. I know they are only volunteers and doing what they think is right, but you have to be pretty dedicated to volunteer to be a spruiker for a political party. I can't bring myself to be downright rude to them, however, a cutting remark entertains me.

If you are a spruiker be warned.

I have two assignments due for handing in within two weeks so I have to sacrifice blogging time for them. Once they are done I will be back to learning more about blogging. Maybe even feel confident enough to fiddle with the html.

No comments: