24 November, 2007

Vote Early, Vote Often Mark 2

So like a good Ozzie citizen, I was up at the crack of dawn, fed the horse, checked my e-mails and surfed the internet for a while. Then the old person came along demanding his breakfast. I wont nauseate you with the details of the old person and breakfast, so I will skip that part.

Then the old person says it is time to go and vote. The first major decision of the day, is where to go to do this. Usually it is the first major decision because it is the first major "discussion of the day". Here? No, over there, but I want to go here, no you don't there is no one there, go over there. No, yes, no, yes ... well you get my drift. Hey we have got it down to such a fine art we don't have to hit each other over the head.

So we go to a primary school that is not where anyone knows us. This is best I think because it is the only time we get an audience that is the equivalent of "captive".

Did I tell you I just love all the political spruikers outside the polling stations? I do, indeed. First find a Labour victim. Hello mr Labour spruiker, er, hello. Tell me, Mr Labour spruiker, are you aware that Labour is in bed with the Greens? Yes, they are. And so you consider this a good thing do you? Yes, it is a very good thing. Then tell me, Mr Labour spruiker, the Greens are committed to reducing the population of the world to 1 billion people. How are they going to do this? and I walked away. Then I start asking the old person. He has been going on for months and months how only insane people do not vote for Labour. The old person has not got a clue. He even admitted he hasn't got his glasses with him so he cannot see the form properly to read the candidates and their party. Good one, old person.

So we stand in line baiting each other and giggling and being silly as we always do. It is an election ritual. Then he says I am an embarrassment to be with. Okay, and you're not?

So we get inside, and get our names marked off. As she hands me my papers she says "Have you voted elsewhere?" Now part of the reason we were waiting in line was because it was before 8.00 am when they open. So how the heck have we been else where to vote? So I ask her, "You mean to tell me I can go somewhere else after this and vote again?" \o/ \o/

I voted. Yeah, I marked off the right boxes, very carefully so they don't think it is a donkey vote. Hang on you lot, donkeys can't vote.

Dump the how to vote junk into the recycle bin.

Outside, I say to the Labour spruiker, "Enjoy you time in the Gas Chamber". Too young and too stupid to give it a second thought.

Came home to be accosted by her ladyship the ex-racehorse demanding to be let out and fed a carrot ... just another election Saturday.

No comments: