26 June, 2008

Seriously ...

So tonight was last class for the Semester and we had an exam. I had a resit on Tuesday which surprisingly enough, I think I passed. lol. However, one of the other people from my class last year had a resit which the teacher said he could do with our class tonight. He is an Iraqi and a very nice man. He also has a good sense of humour and likes to try to understand Australian humour.

The teacher told him to sit away from us, as we can be a pretty rowdy group. We had to wait for the last remnants to rock up before he would give us our papers, but let the guy start his.

There is a Fijian Indian guy in my class. He takes many liberties "because he can" with what he says, does and believes. Mostly he is just silly and has a strange sense of humour. I have gotten on okay with him, because he isn't dull. But tonight while we were waiting and the Iraqi guy had started his exam, the Fijian guy started going on about Muslims. I don't know if the Iraqi guy is Muslim or not, (although I think he is). What was being said was rude and not necessary. The teacher did not pick him up on this, which I guess he wasn't sure how to react. Anyhow, I just turned around and said to him, do you mind not going on about that stuff here. He said to me, I didn't know you were a Muslim. I replied, I am not, but what you are saying is not appropriate here.

I am probably never going to set eyes on them again, as they had only joined the course to learn PHP, which we have finished now. Next semester we go on to learn Javascript and some other stuff. But honestly, they just made me so cranky.

I have met many Muslims in my time, both in my work, which is in a high Muslim area in Sydney, my leisure - Darley bent over backwards to make me and my horse welcome when we bred Eternal Strangers - and I know Princess Alia of Jordan a bit through one of my forums and a few others. I have never, ever had one Muslim be rude to me or show any sort of disrespect. When I worked in the Automotive section of my TAFE, the young guys used to call me Miss. When the daughter did TAFE courses, her immediate friends in her class were Muslim women, who always were nice to her.

You would be hard pressed to get me to say anything bad about them.

Yeah, it is a while since I last blogged. I have been doing other things, like study and working on my assignments. I will probably be a while before I publish again while I finish of the clearing and cleaning project and the last of my assignments. I shall return. With some news, I think.

No comments: