15 October, 2007

Our native garden ...

So we have this "native garden" out the "front" of the house. It is more like a bed of weeds with some natives struggling through it. Anyhow, the old person decided it needed weeding. Like I need a heart attack. So we pull and pull and pull. He hacks and cuts and rakes. He uses a plastic rake because it is "flexible". He totally refuses to use the metal rake simply because I bought it. The metal rake would remove more of the weeds. No flexibility needed.

Well two of the native bushes are grevilleas. One has pretty pinky red flowers and the other creamy white flowers. As soon as we pulled the buffel grass from the bushes two birds flew down and sang some songs, pecked at the flowers and took off. One bird flew down, sang a song and began gorging himself on the nectar. He just could not get enough, hopping rapidly from flower to flower. Another bird joined him without singing first, so I assume he was one of the first two. He began gorging himself on the flowers as well.

I call these birds honeyeaters. They are the size and colour of the local mynas. But their beaks are slightly different and their tails seem to fan a little, almost like a starling. They also have spotting under their tails. They also are not afraid of us doing the weeding while they are gorging themselves.

I would have spent another hour at it, but the old person became grumpy and I had already given up of my art time to do the gardening the moment he demanded me to.

*****************
Classes begin again tonight. I have this dread I will forget, but I have set the alarm on my mobile phone. It is an ongoing nightmare I have when I sleep that I will forget something really important. I have a bit of a memory problem, mostly I put it down to insomnia, but if it gets any worse I will have to discuss it with a doctor.

We have only seven weeks this term and I hope that I can get through it without too much difficulty. Then we have only one semester next year to finish the Certificate 4. I have to finish some work from Certificate 2 by the end of this term as well. I was hoping to do it during the holidays but with all the children here during the holiday, I got very little done. It has been very frustrating to some extent, but the boys were very well behaved and I can't complain.

My niece has done a pretty good job with them. They will make nice young men in the future.

Well I am still arting on, so I will write again soon...

No comments: