07 October, 2007

The garden ...

The old person thought it would be useful to put stakes in next to the tiny tomato bushes. The bushes are around 20cm high and the stakes are around 1.5m above the ground. They are around 3cm square and look quite huge next to them. I got him to plant out the spinach and I planted out quite a few onions. The rows are about 3m long so contain about 20+ onions each, and there are four rows. This supply wont be an entire year's worth of food, but it will be a good start.

So I will keep plodding along with it, and keep researching to grow more stuff.

We were given some tyres today. Some old ones. I am going to experiment with growing some potatoes in them. You stack 3 or 4 on top of each other to form a tube, fill it with soil and organic matter (which we have in abundance), plant the eye potatoes and bob's yer uncle. We are watering with watering cans at the moment, as we can use our household water for that. We will mulch once the plants are a bit bigger.

Last year we had some trees cut down and parts of the trees were taken away by the loppers but branches etc were just chipped and left in a large pile. So that is perfect mulch. We used a little on a garden today, and parts of it are rotting nicely.

We don't seem to have any natural occuring worms, so I will buy some soon. We have a very good compost started off, we recycle in the kitchen, the weeds and other bits and pieces - organic.

Much of this has been difficult for the old person as he has never used any of these methods before and has little understanding of how they work. Even though he watches "Gardening Australia" on the ABC every Saturday and many Sundays.

I am going over to Alien Thoughts when I finish this to discuss the use of animals in organic systems.

My craft work is going very slowly - but hey - it's going. The project I am presently working on is quite large. I will post a photograph of it, but not until I have given it to my baby sister for her 50th birthday in a couple of weeks.

My other project is a sepia cross stitch picture of David Tennant as Dr. Who. That is for the daughter for Christmas.

No comments: