08 October, 2007

A parcel in the mail ...

About a week or so ago I found out it was compulsory to register the fact that you had a horse if you were in the designated "Red Zone". So I went onto the website and registered the fact we did, yes have 1 horse, no donkeys. So they wanted to know if we wanted a thermometer. I indicated we did, since, well we don't have one.

So in a registered mail parcel today was my digital thermometer. I am impressed. I thought they would send out an old style mercury one. This is a nice quality one. In a plastic container and in a box. The Japanese English is a little hard to decipher, but I think I managed it all.

I have to shove it in her rectum morning and night for ten days and record her temperature.
She will be so impressed. Last time I tried to look under her tail, her back leg came up threatening and she put those ears down flat against her neck. Still, we are working on brushing up our ground manners and a vet would have to do this. Lets face it, Her Ladyship would go home with the vet if he would take her. He can walk up to her from behind and jab a needle into her neck. If I tried that I would be in low geostationery orbit a few minutes later. I will do it while she is distracted by her dinner. If you see a funny object in lower space, ask NASA to pick me up, please.

Also in the package were instructions about what you can and cannot do within each of the zones. We are in the "Red Zone" which means horses have or have had the EI. Some have even died from it. I hope that should Her Ladyship get it she would survive it, she is in very good health just now. Well she should be, we were all set to send her off to stud when this thing broke out. Now she can't go anywhere. I have not noticed her cycling for a long time now, and so I doubt if Artificial Insemination would be of much use. I'd rather not use that anyhow, and we are not all that desperate for a foal.

I would have liked to have gotten her a companion, because she is alone here. We try to keep her company a little while each day, but lets face it, we are not of the same species and we are not as superior as she is. Even Eternal Strangers was only tolerated in the same paddock because he was another horse. But eeuuww he smelled, according to her.

So once this is over, we will get a nice quiet gelding and next year she can go and visit a nice Arabian stallion.

Talking about fussy, she has decided the old person puts chillies in her breakfast. She will eat it, but she treats it like "foreign food". At least the UFO has gone. Horses - go figure.

No comments: