23 February, 2011

Finally some news...

I went to the spinal surgeon today. I have a crushed vertebrate in my neck. I will have to have surgery - two operations. One will be from the front and will remove one bone that is pressing on the cord, and the other will move the other bone that is also pressing on the cord from the back.

If I don't have the operation it is only a matter of time and I will be paralyzed which I certainly do not want to be. It will be a bit painful at first but I think I can deal with that.

The operations will be done the front removal first and after a week, if I am healing up okay, the second. Otherwise I will have to wait about a month and then get the second done. I usually heal well after surgery, so I am very hopeful that this will be no different and I can get both done fairly close together and done with.

My biggest "phobia" with surgery, isn't so much the surgery itself, it is afterwards, when I first come round I vomit and immediately afterwards discover I have a drip in my arm and start to seriously freak out. I understand now that they can give anesthetic that wont make you vomit, but I think I will get a referral to a psychologist about the drip because I really do freak out. It has to do with when I gave birth to my children. As this is surgery that involves my neck and I may not be able to eat for a while, it could get to be a serious problem for me otherwise. I will also probably discuss it with my doctor.


No comments: